[at-l] RE: Bringing your pack on the airplane

Greetings,

A few more thoughts on flying with your pack.  I've flown at least once a
year with my pack to section areas of the AT for the last seven years.  For
my internal frame, I've found that the duffel bag is the way to go.  If you
don't want to carry the duffel (and we haven't), bring a prepaid USPS
express box or bag with you and stuff it in there and mail it home for about
$3.  We've mailed our duffels ahead to our ending destination, we've left
them with our shuttler, and we've stored them once at the luggage storage
area at Newark (all airports don't have it).  When I took an external frame,
my empty Jansport would fit in the cardboard boxes for hanging bags, and
everything that went in it was in the duffel.  If you wear your boots in the
airport, you'll probably get wanded.  Perhaps it's because of the steel
shank, the metal grommets, or that you appear to be from Indiana.  Regarding
stoves, if your stove doesn't have an integrated fuel tank, it's allowable
under FAA guidelines to take it.  We buy a new fuel bottle and leave it in
the package, top off, and we've never had a problem.  Airlines can have
harsher restrictions than the FAA minimums, but we've never had a problem on
Delta and Northwest carrying our stove.

If all fails, there's a REI on your way through town, I-85 (northeast
expressway) at Clairmont Rd.  Pricey, but well stocked.  If you just need
gas, there's 17 Walmarts (and 43 Waffle Houses) between ATL and Springer.

Take Care,

Tim