Re[2]: [at-l] Has Wingy ripped off the DataBook?

>"...Ah, but isn't 'this' ripping off someone else's intellectual property?"
>asks Mark Ferguson.

I'm not sure what "this" Mark is referring to. But if it is intellectual
property rights of the ATC, we should ask ATC. Perhaps Mark knows more than I do
about the arrangement between ATC and Wingfoot. As near as I can determine, ATC
gave Wingfoot permission to use mileage data collected by ATC volunteers.

  I can't comment on the format -- or whether it did, or did not, conflict with
  ATC rights. First, I don't know what rights ATC claims. Second, my copy of
  Wingfoot's trail guide hasn't arrived. (I was late ordering.)

  However, the profits to Wingfoot, I'm positive, are pretty minimal. If all
  thru hiker dreamers by some miracle bought his guide, the total circulation
  would be around 3,000 copies.

  Having once written a home energy book, that sold around 3,000 copies, and
paid me a total of $1,500, somehow, I don't think Dan will be basking in luxury
anytime soon.

These kinds of books are mostly labors of love. No one makes much money, rip off
artists, or no.

Weary