[at-l] Has Wingy ripped off the DataBook?

--
In a message dated 2/10/2003 4:58:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Ferguson@CWF.org writes:

> Ah, but isn't this ripping off someone else's intellectual property?

    HEY! THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

            I'm not certain on the exact legal status of Data Book
information. I assume since the information is gathered by volunteers for a
non-profit entity it isn't the same as normal publication copyrights. Anyway,
the theme on the AT has always been one of tolerance, so WF using otherwise
generally known AT information probably isn't that serious a plagiarism or
breach of copyright.

     I believe our controversial friend got into the business because he felt
ATC underserved a serious AT segment in through-hikers. He decided a niche
existed in through-hikers organizing to provide their own support in all
forms such as Trail information to advocacy. I suppose his adaptation of Data
Book mileages served to supply an AT through-hiker with an everything between
two covers format, as did a Trail advocacy centered website...

      We don't want the expression "ripping-off someone else's property"
becoming prevalent on the AT. After all, we need the best form of public
cooperation in acquiring new buffers...

      PS-   I wonder what TJ would say if I proposed persons who didn't
support the Trail's philosophical side be disallowed from walking over the
sections of Trail I built?