[at-l] Crawford "Hotel" --spinoff from Cost to Enter National Parks

>I guess that everyone on this list ASSumes that all the
>pleasures of life are to be free.

Some of us are more concerned about how the money is used, than the fact
that we are asked to pony up from time to time.

In the White Mountains, we pay about $20 a year to park at the trailheads.
But how is this money used?  I am not sure its true, but word is that most
of it has been used to build scenic turn outs along the Kancamugus (SP?)
Scenic Highway.  Perhaps thats just a myth, but they came up with the
construction money for those dubious projects somewhere.

Then there is how the AMC spends my money and that of all its contributors.
While I am delighted that LL Bean has provided all the furniture and rental
equipment for the Highland Center, and that the firm's founding family has
contributed a million bucks towards its construction, I can't help but
wonder why there isn't a plan in place to address how 100+ new beds will
impact on use at Ethan Pond Shelter, and Guyot and so on.  You would think
that an organization with a vision of weddings and corporate seminars might
have a vision for an improved camping experience at Guyot, and the overflow
slums around it.

To the extent that profits from the Highland Center will fund worthy
endeavors, I am delighted.  We all agree that education is important, right?
  What concerns me is that the huge investment in the center will be used to
educate people like me with $150 snow shoe seminars, rather than educate
disadvantaged youth and other non traditional use groups.  I know, they say
that are doing that.  The thing is, I don't see it.  The day that I
encounter an inner city scout group getting a subsidized hut stay, I will
cheer.  That's where I want to see some of my dues and fees go.  Token
efforts aren't enough, nor are efforts done far away from the White
Mountains.

An $8 charge at a tent site isn't a big deal.  That is until you stop and
think that it is the beginning hiker who needs the security of such a formal
camping area.  Still its only $8 right?  No, its not.  Its $64 for a young
family of 4 who wants to spend a weekend in the woods around his kids
without taking the "scary" step of camping away from a designated site.
With the club's educational mission, I'd like to see the club do a better
job with encouraging that.  BTW, heavily used campsites off the AT and away
from the Huts don't get caretakers and fancy privies (Sawyer Pond comes to
mind).  I wonder why?

As for the AMC's advocacy role, I think that is largely a myth.  For good or
bad, it ain't no Sierra Club.  This weekend I was looking at the site near
the Midstate Trail (Princeton, MA), where a propasal for two 350 foot
Windmills will be voted later this month.  The AMC's position as stewards of
the mountains?  None.  How do I know that for a fact?  I don't.  I am just
playing the odds, and the odds say that the AMC would run from such a
controversy, and not play a leaderhip roll.

Rick B

Yes the AMC is known as