Re[2]: [at-l] Water Purification Issues

If I had the choice to drink water that was filtered through a brand new PUR
Hiker or water that was filtered though a similar PUR Hiker that had been
used every day on the AT for 3 Months, my choice would be clear.

Am I right to have concerns about handling and drinking water from a well
used filter?  Part of me has this vision of a filter taking rather dilute
contaminates and concentrating them to a sickening dose over time, which
will later leak out and get me.

As a weekender, I clean my filter regularly (my wife insists on using one),
but I am also concerned that in cleaning it some of the concentrated
contaminates from the "dirty parts" are getting moved over to the clean
parts.

The idea that cleaning is done by scrubbing and running a dilute bleach
solution through the filter is not giving me that much comfort.

Any thoughts?