[at-l] Re: Hiking & Low Carb Diets

I am diabetic (type II) and have high blood pressure.  I was on meds while
hiking.  And I was not strictly following my diet.  I almost collapsed.
Went into Hot Springs to their medical clinic.  The doctor told me I was
overmedicating for doing what I was doing.  So he cut (after consulting with
my hometown doctor) my meds and advised me to guzzle Wesson Oil; eat more
fats; eat more proteins; etc.

Unless you are slack packing (and probably even then), you are going to need
more fats and proteins than you normally do or should eat.  Carbs usually
come in food that fill you up.  But they tend to do little for the kind of
"exercise" you are doing.

When I started eating lots of fats and such (They had a sale on Summer
Sausage back at my hometown Wally World and my "base" buddies sent me lots
of Summer Sausages), my health improved.  Of course when I got back home and
my metabolism settled down, I had to go back to a watchful diet.

Also, salt, though it does not have calories, is "bad" for you, but you need
it when you are exercising to the extreme.  And any LD hiking is extreme.

I have read a couple of places and talked to a couple of sports
nutrionists/dieticians, and apparently a thru-hiker carrying a full pack
(not necessarily overloaded) will burn in one day the equivalent of running
two marathons back to back.

So don't go by what you normally eat.  Go by what you are doing and how long
you are doing it.

William, The Turtle