[at-l] Water Purification Issues

Weary's comments are well worth considering; here are a few random
thoughts sparked by his e-mail, and some others I've received off-list:

1)  Dioxin contamination of southern rivers, and bioaccumulation of the
stuff in fish has been a big EPA issues over the past 20 years - much of
the dioxin in southeastern river sediments was created as a by-product
of all the chlorine dioxide bleach used by pulp and paper mills; I say
this not to sound like an alarmist - I actually think some of EPA's
actions are overreaction on this issue - rather, I say it to simply
point out that use of chemicals often has unintended and longer term,
chronic consequences that are hard to identify or quantify in terms of
potential human health hazards, either at the outset, or even after
having 20+ years of data . . .

2)  The issue of water purification is intensely personal, both due to
varying stages of immune system vitality and legitimate, varying levels
of personal preference/fears or concerns.

3)  The one "study" I know of with some relevance concluded that there
was little statistically valid difference between hikers who used no
purification, versus filters, versus chemicals . . . I cannot recall the
study name, author, etc. but I think that's what the conclusion was.

4)  If you are "one-potting" it for cooking, just let your water boil a
bit longer and that habit alone will likely kill most "bad" stuff.

5)  The lightweight in-line filters that you can cut and plug into your
hydration bag/tube system, and the built-in water bottle filters are a
nice complement to boiling and just being common sense careful re the
water sources you use.

6)  Remembering to refill fully while in town can also help [with the
caveat that the largest hiker water-related disease outbreak I know of
was caused by hikers filling up from a contaminated hostel water source.]

In short:  Lots of options or combinations of options are out there, and
you have to make your own informed, personal choices - and there clearly
is no single, "right" answer.

thru-thinker