[at-l] Vest vs. Jacket and Down vs. Synthetic.

Turtle,

Reference your post, dated 2-5-03.

I was at Springer Mountain the end of the first week of March, about eight
years ago,  and encountered temperatures which were, according to local
radio, =93record breaking.=94  The low temperature at the lower elevations
reached MINUS 20 degrees Fahrenheit.  It was colder on the AT.  Standard
hiker thermometers bottom out at - 20 o, which is where they remained, at
that period, until about 10:00 am, in direct sunlight.  IT WAS COLD!

The first thing you say is, =93... I get cold easily.=94

Your perception of warmth or cold depends in part upon your current
acclimation (sunbathing in Maine, in February, or wearing a sweater in San
Diego, in fall), your metabolism, and whether you perspire readily.  There
are two problems inherent in offering you =93The Answer.=94  The first is, =
only
you know how you feel.

If you haven=92t experienced it, when you get out of your sleeping bag in t=
he
morning, on the AT in winter, you will be cold.  Put on a layer(s) to warm
up so you don=92t become cold while you cook/eat breakfast and break camp.
You don=92t want to be cold when you start walking, so you leave the layers
on.  You warm up as you walk.  You won=92t want to stop walking - - remove
your pack, open it up, take off a layer of clothing, put it into the pack,
close the pack, then put the pack back on - - just because you=92re a bit t=
oo
warm, so, you continue walking.  You=92ll discover, in a short while, that
you=92ve become wet.  Your perspiration has collected faster than it
evaporated.  You=92ll discover a little later, you=92ve become very cold.

Your clothes and sleeping bag don=92t warm you, they only slow the escape o=
body heat.  Walking generates heat, warming you.  You reached the
hypothetical point, in the preceding paragraph, where, even walking, you
were not generating sufficient heat.  If you didn=92t have additional layer=
s,
you would have needed to expend more energy.  Tired?  Injured?  Can=92t mov=
faster?  You may have become dangerously cold.  AVOID THIS.    In this
instance, stop and build a fire.

It is very important, for me, to remain dry.  Dryness is more important tha=
cozy warmth.  If I do get wet, it=92s important I dry off quickly.  I can
remove my upper layers, towel myself dry, or change into a dry (or dryer)
shirt.

I perspire readily.  Fleece, to me, has a vapor barrier effect.  When I fee=
warm, wearing fleece, it=92s because my perspiration is collecting faster t=
han
it=92s evaporating, i.e., it=92s time to remove or open fleece.

A lightweight wicking shirt under a sweater works well.  The shirt
transports perspiration to the sweater, where it evaporates through the ope=
weave. I can feel warm while, at the same time, my perspiration evaporates.
I adjust the degree of warmth or cold I feel, using a windbreaker, a bandan=
or neck scarf, and a knit hat.  A hat is ESSENTIAL for this.

Your decision whether vest or jacket is pretty much for camp wear.  Camp
wear is that period between when you stop walking and when you slide into
your sleeping bag, and the reverse in the morning.

OrangeBug asked, =93Have you spent some time outside in the cold with your
current clothing choices - especially an overnight test?=94  I recommend yo=
do this, especially during some bitterly cold period.  Go out.  Pack
different pieces of equipment (borrow, or rent them, if you don=92t own the=
m)
and wear them interchangeably as you hike, set up/tear down camp, and cook.
Learn when you freeze and when you smile.

The Patagonia Puffball uses Hollofil.  It=92s relatively warm and wind
resistant, especially for the weight.  I LOVE down, but it=92s hard to beat
the weight and compression of the Puffball.

Someone said, =93You can hike in comfort, or camp in comfort, but not both.=
=94

If you wait two weeks to leave, you won=92t need as much equipment / weight=
.

Oh, the second problem inherent in offering you =93The Answer=94 is, there =
isn=92t
one.

Enjoy your quest.

Steve