[at-l] Spork writes about food & the AT

--

On the trail, it's all about the food

Mr. Jingles stood at the intersection of the Appalachian Trail and some tiny
back road that twisted and turned through the dense forests of North
Carolina. His "real life" name wasn't Mr. Jingles but all of the hikers
called him that because his wife, Mrs. Jingles, wore bells on her boots to
scare off bears and snakes. Most of the trail's hikers acquire trail names
from fellow hikers. Early in my six-month adventure, somewhere down in
Georgia, I was given the trail name "Spork." Besides hiking and dog mushing,
one of my favorite things to do in the backcountry is eat. On the AT, I wore
a "spork" dangling from a thin leather cord around my neck, probably the
closest I will ever come to being a jewelry wearer. I wasn't trying to make a
fashion statement though, I just wanted an eating utensil close by for
potential snack breaks.

the rest of the story, and a pic of Karen is at:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20030130/localnews/881379.html