[at-l] (Guest Post) Williams Winans Murder

<First time didn't post to the list - here's a second attempt:>

You're not looking at the total population of "people" on the AT.  There
are typically a "gazillion" folks on the AT each year - folks jumping out
of the cars to be "on" the trail, locals, screwing around in the woods, day
trippers, weekenders, section hikers, those with somewhat long periods off,
and then the almost thru-hikers not to mention the ultimate
thru-hikers.  Very hard to quantify these and any others that may "touch
the AT" at one point in time.

I would imagine that thru-hikers tend to sleep out alone from the crowds
and that aspect of their "profile" makes them appealing targets to the
criminal element.

Mueser's study cited a 1992 report in Backpacker Magazine that on the AT
there is "one crime for every 800,000 users, there have been only seven
people killed while backpacking there in the past 50 years.  So
statistically speaking, your 190 times more likely to die in an accident
while driving to the trail head than from a violent act in the wilderness."
(p.134)

Mueser records that in total "nine homicides" have been reported on the AT
as of 1998:

Prior to 1981 - Two victims on the AT
1981 - One victim in VA
1988 - One victim in PA
1990 - Two victims in PA
1996 - Two victims in VA

But the itemized count of his text reveals only eight homicide
victims.  One additional person was shot in the 1988 incident and survived.

Just looking at the thru-hike population does not present an accurate
depiction of the level of activity and presence of people on or adjacent to
the AT.

I don't know if the perspective of 1:800,000 for crime in general is any
more comforting to you - but in my opinion - I am not worried about
homicide when I am on the trail.  I'm usually concerned with petty theft or
armed robbery.  That is why I am typically selective about where I sleep
over and who I associate with.  If the gut tells me to move on . . . I
respect it's opinion and keep on walking.

Bushwacker