[at-l] Hiking & Low Carb Diets.

There have been several studies demonstrating injury due to yo-yo dieting
and weight changes. There have been epidemiological studies showing
increased mortality with high protein diets - particularly the 70's fad of
"liquid protein." There have been many studies showing advantages with the
combination of exercise and moderation of diet/caloric intake.

The point is that the Atkin's diet works, at least in the short term and
may have long term adverse effects. However, a combination of diet
adjustment with exercise as a strategy for weight loss remains sound
advice. I encourage anyone interested in long distance hiking to prepare
with physical training, a well balanced pre-hike diet and a well planned
hiking diet. Physicians know that people will try the "Diet du Jour" -
currently Dr Atkins'. We also know that if we could get folks to exercise,
the economy would suffer as it would kill the market for a best seller diet
book.

OrangeBug