[at-l] Low Carb diets and hiking

--
Good evening,

Just a comment or two.  I am a nurse by profession and the director of a ca=
rdiopulmonary rehab department.  I am involved daily with clients who are f=
acing  questions about diet, exercise, cardiac disease, diabetes, etc...

The scientific evidence clearly points out the long term dangers involved w=
ith a "high protein" diet, including Dr. Atkins diet plan.

You can loose weight quickly on a high protein diet.  Diabetics can control=
 their blood sugars due to the lack of carbs.  However, you risk serious co=
mplications with your kidneys and other problems if you stay on this diet t=
oo long.  Do the research yourself on the complications of  long term high =
protein diets.  For example consider the joy of kidney stones associated wi=
th high protein diets.

There are no short cuts to a healthy body and the control of chronic diseas=
es. Exercise and a balanced diet of wholesome foods are two of the keys to =
a healthy lifestyle.  Physical preparation and a healthy balanced diet are =
two of the keys to a successful through hike as well.

As they say high your own hike!  I will add:  Eat your own diet!

Regards,

Jim Fitzgerald