From: Orange Bug
Date: Thursday, January 30, 2003 6:21:14 PM
To: Shane
Cc: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] RE: Hiking & Low Carb Diets.

All diets work for a while. Zero Mostel had great success with a
liquid protein diets - shortly before his sudden death that led
to the end of _that_ fad. All calorie restricted diets have some
benefit, except their likelihood of inducing yo-yo weight gains
and poor longterm benefits. Dr. Atkin's, as many marketed diets,
benefit from limiting how studies are done and how cases are
reported. The recently touted study demonstrating decreased in
LDL Cholesterol, triglycerides and such failed to report the
addition of Fish Oil as a supplement, which may have been the
key to such changes.

Shane, you have told us of exercise, walking and training with
your friend Bob. Frankly, my experience has been that when
people exercise 30 minutes per day with sweat induction and
increased pulse as a target, weight is steady for 6 weeks,
inches are lost as muscle tone develops, and weight begins to
drop at a 2-3 pounds per month rate - occasionally faster. Mood
improves with sleep improvements - particularly with milder
sleep apnea patients. Dieting tends to create dysphoria as a
result of increased ketones when body fat is mobilized for
calories. Exercise as the foundation for weight loss works as
one rarely creates the starvation levels of calorie restrictive
diets.

This was the experience of Oprah, but she still found a way to
write a successful diet book 5 years after her contract with
SlimFast ended.

I suspect that your Atkin's diet in combination with exercise is
responsible for weight loss, but that you are at risk of weight
gain should you return to an unrestricted diet or reduce
exercise levels. Toned muscle has more insulin receptors and is
more sensitive to insulin, reversing the pathology of
adult/obesity related diabetes.

Love the exercise, moderate the diet and live to tell about it.

Bill...