[at-l] Majority of Americans Want More Wilderness

In a message dated 1/29/03 9:41:47 PM, jplynch@crosslink.net writes:

<< The hydrogen car is a sham to take the attention away from CAFE.  First
  thing to consider is distribution system for the hydrogen.  Not to
mention where do you get it. >>

Current automobiles that use use fuel cells require gasoline for a source of
hydrogen.  A chemical reaction separates the hydrogen from the hydrocarbon
molecule.  If I understand it correctly the engine of the automobile will
actually be electric.  There are a few fuel cell automobiles being used
around the country as prototypes.  The high school that I worked in is now
using a fuel cell to generate over half of its electricity.  At night when
electricity use is down the school system sells electricity back to the power
company.    The fuel cell is worth several million dollars.  The school
received the fuel cell free from the United Technologies Corporation.  UTC
has been funded by the federal government for many years to develp this kind
of technology.   If they can find a way to manufacture these fuel cells
economically it may be possible to install them in homes to produce the
electricity necessary to run the home and then some.