[at-l] Re: Can he still hike?

athummingbird wrote:
>Has anyone here had anything similar and done much hiking?  He is very
>concerned about this.  I know there are more important things to consider
>right now.  But you hikers know what I mean.

Linda -
I obviously can't tell you how Jan's problems will shake out, but I can tell
you what my experence has been.  I compressed two discs in a fall on the AT
- and my right thigh has been numb ever since. If I allow myself to get too
badly out of condition, carrying a pack can sometimes be painful due to the
pressure on my back.

My problems aren't nearly as severe as Jans and I wouldn't guarantee this,
but I think he'll probably hike again. I have, I do -- and I will. But when
he does, it might be a real good idea to keep his pack as light as possible.

One thing I've found is that the pack (as someone else mentioned) actually
seems to help my back.  I suspect that's because it forces better posture -
kinda like a backboard.

Bottom line is that if I were you, I wouldn't give up hope.  Just recognize
that it may be a tough road ahead for a while.  If there's anything we can
do to help, let us know.

I'm sorry about the kitten - is there any chance that treatment would do any
good?

One more thing - about the fork - is he well done yet?

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist that.   <G>

Walk softly,
Jim