[at-l] Can he still hike?

--
In a message dated 1/30/2003 11:29:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bushwackerfish@mindspring.com writes:

> I have been diagnosed with DDD due to an "incident" I had in the Navy.
>
> I have found that several thing help in managing it:
>
> -  Exercise that strengthens the abdomen and thus helps straighten the
> spinal column in normal posture.
> -  Use of Celebrex for pain control.
> -  Avoiding sleeping on my stomach at night (by far the most important
> factor).
> -  When sleeping on my side to use a pillow between the knees.
>
> Now the Ortho doc told me that there could be some surgical methods used to
> remedy the problem but my pain levels haven't been that severe.  I think
> the most promising I learned about was the injection of material in the
> disk to reinforce it and help separate the vertebrae properly.
>
> I think you guys should be doing a bit of research and document your
> options.  Without health insurance - boy that will make the choices much
> tougher . . . but I wouldn't want to complicate the situation by strenuous
> activity until being fully informed of all options.
>
> Oh, also quit playing doctor with a fork . . . you may be faced with
> domestic malpractice. ;-}
>
> Good luck.

I have 2 bulging discs, and one herniated one.
So far exercise, advil & celebrex have helped (with a chiropractor thrown in
once in a while to keep things lined up). My back usually feels better if I
have a pack on.  It feels worse after sitting all day (especially if I sit on
my wallet).

SO I am doing a thru hike to test my theory.
See how it feels after the hike, and decide what to do about it then.

Russ (hotdog - leaving 3/1/03)

<A HREF="www.trailjournals.com/hotdog">www.trailjournals.com/hotdog</A>