[at-l] Can he still hike?

> Has anyone here had anything similar and done much
> hiking?  He is very concerned about this.

Yes, he'll still be able to hike.  Without examining him, it's hard to give
good advice.  I wish I were closer...

I've worked several DDD clients, so I'll speak generally.  The most
important thing to remember is that when he is back on his feet, he is NOT
better.  Especially if he has spinal pain blocks, and doesn't feel a thing,
that doesn't mean that he should start power lifting anything.  If he does,
he's likely to develop other 'symptomatic' disorders like fibromyalgia.
That's not to say that he should spend the rest of his life in bed.

I would recommend three things, once he is feeling better.  First, regular
massage.  The less stress and tension he has, the better off he will be.
The massage will also improve blood flow.  Never put ice on his spine.

Second, he should take up Yoga.  Nothing crazy, just some light stretching.
It's important that he make peace with his body, no matter how many pieces
it's in.

Third, and most important to my mind, is apitherapy.  If he is not allergic
to honey bees, this is the best homeopathic remedy available.  Apitherapy is
the use of honey-bee stings to treat inflammatory diseases.  This sounds
very strange to the uninitiated, but I did it myself for bursitis, and still
do on occasion, and I can say that the results are nearly miraculous.  I
challenge you to find a single beekeeper that has ANY degenerative joint
problems.

I would recommend two bee stings, one on either side of the lower spine,
about four inches from the spine.  The itching and burning from the stings
will subside as time goes on, and eventually he will hardly react at all.
This should be done every four or five days - no more than every third day -
for about two months.  After that, about once a week for about two months,
and then once a month.  This process has helped every person I have ever
worked with who had any kind of degenerative bone disorder, but don't do it
if he has an allergy to honey bees.

For further reference, try:

http://www.apitherapy.com/
http://www.apitherapy.org/

He'll hike again, and do most of the things he used to do.  Tell him not to
worry.

Shane