[at-l] AT maps

Dustin Weir wrote:

>I'm going to start my first section of the trail this
>summer, from the DWG in PA to the MA-VT border. Are
>the 1:36000 and 1:38700 maps close enough to navigate
>by? Has anybody used them? I'm trying to decide if I
>should track down the USGS 1:26000 scale maps I'm used
>to.

>-big D

>p.s.
>Any important tips for that section?

Hi Dustin.

My partner and I did those sections last Spring.

Several suggestions:

- Forget the USGS maps.  Get the ATC maps and guide books for NJ/NY and
CT/MA and the Databook.  Bring the maps along, and Xerox just the trail
guide and Databook  pages.  You may also consider joining the ATC. If you
use mail drops, split these pages and maps up for the sections between
drops. The ATC store sells these on line:
http://www.atctrailstore.org/

- Download the On-line Companion.
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
print out just the pages you'll need.

- Start early.  Spring is much better than summer for this section.  We
started around April 1st.  A little colder, but you'll avoid the bugs and
dayhiker/tourist crowds (mostly) and you'll have a much better chance at
finding plentiful water.

- We enjoyed these sections immensely.  Check out my trip reports and
pictures:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/Home_hiking.html

Enjoy your hike.  Feel free to ask more detailed questions as your planning
progresses.

Pb