Re [at-l] RANT PATC''s Ongoing tradition of public serviceand volunteerism for sale

I can understand why an organization would open membership to those who
only pay dues but don't volunteer as a means of raising money but in doing
so I can also understand the volunteers being somewhat miffed that the
non-volunteering members get the same 'perks' as those who give of their
time as well as money.

I spent 11 years maintaining a lean-to in the Adirondacks.  I stopped
mainly because it was such a difficult one to get to as I got older and I
lost all my helpers but there was an element of feeling unappreciated
too.  The nearest parking to 'my lean-to' was a parking area that belonged
to the ADK and they charged me the same parking fee as any other member
even when I was on my work trips.  I made 3-4 trips a year (15+ miles round
trip) and did light trail maintenance (not part of my official volunteer
duties) going and coming as well.  At the end of the first year I did this
I was given a 'lean-to adopter' patch and after 11 years was officially
thanked in the club magazine annual article about the adoption
program.  That's it.

I do think that the clubs could do something to make volunteers feel a bit
more appreciated.  It wouldn't take much.  Perhaps some are better than my
experience.  In my case free parking when doing my clean-ups would have
been nice.  Perhaps in the PATC situation a different class of membership
for volunteers that gave a slightly better rate on cabin rentals would do
the trick.  It wouldn't have to be much, simply some token that says "we
recognize your volunteer contribution".