Re [at-l] RANT PATC''s Ongoing tradition of public service and volunteerism for sale

> It is not that I object to them "opening of the membership."  It is their
> blatant equating of "paying to use a cabin, or to go on a trip," with
being
> part of AT trail builder's "ongoing tradition of public service and
> volunteerism" that frost me.

When I first read the explanations about the "locked cabins"  I was amused
or perhaps perturbed by the particular verbiage used by PATC to attract
donations.  And yes, it's the donations that are important.  Membership and
privileges are part and parcel to fund raising.  And I would agree that the
line "being part of AT trail builder's ongoing tradition of public service
and
volunteerism"   Is a bit overreaching.

Then I thought for a bit, what do I belong to and how do I support them?

Well I belong to

ATC
ALDHA
NYNJTC
AMC
The Nature Conservancy
Central Park Conservancy
Rails to Trails Conservancy

(Member of REI?  Does that count? <grin>).

And how do I support them?  Easy, I give money.  MONEY.  As much money as I
can afford, since I passionately support the work of all of these groups.
Do I volunteer?  Do trail maintenance?  No, I'm sorry, I do not.  For
whatever reason, job, time, locale - it was never easy for me to get out
there.  But if time is money, then money is time.

I think those who can give time, then go for it.  Those who can give money,
go for it.  It all helps.  If you can afford both time AND money, then give
both.  But give something.

No, giving money is not the same as volunteering, but giving money maybe the
lifeblood for success of an organization's goals.  To hire lawyers, buy
land, lobby congress, do public service advertisements, whatever ..  It's
all vital for the protection of our trail and our environment.  I only wish
I have more to give.

Now with retirement upon me, the pendulum is swinging.  I have less money,
but more time.  So maybe I can now literally be part of the "ongoing
tradition of public service and volunteerism".  But I certainly fell no
guilt or remorse whatsoever for my past choices on how best to support these
important efforts.

So give what you can, time or money or both.  And let's not disparage
anyone's efforts, even if it's not the way we might choose to do it.  It's
the end result that counts.

Pb