[at-l] Why a thru-hike

Datto has posted a very wise message -- a message far more important than even
the most sophisticated critiques of gear lists for those planning a thru hike. I
rarely quote extensively the messages I respond to, but I can't resist this
time.

>"....Some of us, including me," Datto reports, "thought we knew what it was
>about before we started. I just never imagined what it truly ended up being.
>Without revealing much nor influencing what it is for you, I can say that for
>me and maybe most others, the whole experience creeps up on you, unawares like,
>gathers motion until it's tagging along with you before you even realize
>anything is different.

>"So, it's hard to explain, that's for sure. I think you'll know it when it gets
>there. Be patient, don't go looking so much for it. You've got months ahead of
>you and it'll arrive when it's ready. You're not going to push it onto the
>stage before it is time.

">And it's not about bragging rights either. Whew boy, not about that at all.
">Not about a patch. Not about a certificate. Not about getting some big
">line-item checked off your life to-do list so you can go down to the sports
">bar and say, "Yep, thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail.". Maybe for some a
">thru-hike might start out that way as a thing to conquer. I don't think it
">will take much time to get way, way past that level of surface thinking. To
">find out it's not something that can be conquered, but something to
">experience. Savor. Treasure.

">This I will tell you categorically; if you try to conquer the Appalachian
">Trail you will fail miserably. Your arse will be handed to you in a pail and
">while you're gazing at it with a surprised look, you'll be knocked face down
">in the mud and the back of your head stepped on to make the point.

>"But if you learn to blend with the Trail, enjoy yourself, observe the natural
>wonder about you, appreciate how you are one of the luckiest people on the
>planet to have the opportunity to spend this time in the mountains, how the
>physical pain and anguish will subside if you give it time and are patient, how
>the others around you, no matter their differences from you, will be people you
>will become close to for the rest of your days (particularly those who you
>start the Trail with when you take the first step of your thru-hike).

>"There isn't a day I'm not reminded, sometimes in a backhanded way, other times
>more straightforwardly, of the experience of my AT thru-hike. A quest I took on
>almost three years ago still recurring every day in my life. It's that
>powerful. And glorious. And rewarding.

>"So, if you're not quite understanding what this is all about, believe me, most
>everyone looking ahead to their thru-hike is now or will be in the same boat as
>you soon. It is a tremendous opportunity for you ahead. You'll have a fabulous
>time if you let it be so. A milestone ahead that will likely change the course
>of your thinking, possibly the course of your life and destiny.

>"God what a fun time I had on my thru-hike. I hope you all have the same."

>Datto

Potential thru hikers should heed Datto's message. May be second timers and PCT
veterans know what to expect, but for virtually everyone else the trail quickly
becomes a surprise. By the time we are through Georgia, most of us have found
our preconceptions to be wrong. I don't care how many long back packs you have
done -- on or off the AT. The real thing is something you won't have expected.

 I suspect that most who can't grow out of their "conquer the trail" goal, soon
 find an excuse to quit. The rest will have an unexpectedly fine experience. I
 know I did.

 Weary