[at-l] dumbest thing

<<Speaking of which...

When you are in a crowded store, always ask if you can leave it near the
register or check-out stand.  And make a humorous remark about hating to
lose your "home" and "food". Or just point to it and say "I'll leave it
there while I'm shopping.  Hope you don't mind."

Another trick is to ask if they have a "check-in" place where you can leave
your bag.  Then quickly explain you're hiking the XYZ Trail, and you have
all your gear in the bag.  It also helps if you say someone recommended
their store.  One place I know of (through a friend) actually took the bag
and stored it in the employees' lounge and told them to look around town.

In other words, disarm them with politeness>>

I also always put the rain cover on, making access to the pack more
difficult. Also with the cover on it's somewhat less identifiable as a
pack.

skeeter