From: Datto [mailto:datto_atl2@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 1:04 PM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] dumbest things

Well Kelly, don't feel so bad about bringing a curling
iron.

In 1998 I was section hiking north of Mt. Rogers and two
thru-hikers passed me on the Trail like I was standing
still. As I was huffing and puffing after them I remember
thinking to myself "how in the world do those people go so
fast on these dang uphills??"

When I got to the shelter (Lost Mountain Shelter) I hung
out with some of the thru-hikers. One of the people who
passed me so fast on the Trail a ways back was a very
pretty girl who was in the shelter that night applying
deoderant and makeup. Of course the other thru-hikers were
kidding her about it. She told them she didn't want to
stink like they did. Ha.

Man, with all the bugs and varments I can't imagine a woman
wearing makeup along the Trail but some do. I had a skunk
fall out of the shelter rafters one night and onto my head
while I was in my sleeping bag, then sit on my hip looking
at me in the face. I can't imagine what would have happened
if I'd had something whiffy on me. A black and white buddy
licking me probably. Real quiet-like: "Shoe! Go Away!"

Datto

PS: You know, for dual use purposes you could take a
battery operated curling iron and sometimes use it to cook
bacon up at the shelter. Just trying to help out...