[at-l] Smokies section hike

With the caveat that each person's hiking style is different, my
personal experience in the Smokies on the AT in 2001 was that the cold
weather fired us up and we ended up doing more miles per day than we had
up to that point - so much so that we ended up hiking the entire Smokies
section in about five days.  We started out in early afternoon from the
Lake Fontana Dam, hiked 13.6 miles into Russell Field Shelter [where we
had a great winter storm come thru that night], then hiked 14.5 miles
the next day thru the beauriful snow to Silers Bald Shelter, then hiked
12.5 miles in some nasty freezing rain and fog up to Newfound Gap, where
we decided to hitch into Gatlinburg; we ended up spending two nights
there due to the lousy weather [freezing rain], then we hitched back up
  to Newfound Gap around noontime [note:  it is MUCh harder to hitch
back up to Newfound Gap than it is to hitch down] and hiked 15.6 miles
over ice, mud and massive tree blowdowns in a looonnnnggg half day to
reach Tri-Corner Knob shelter, the next morning we hiked 15.7 miles to
Davenport Gap.  In summary, we did the entire Smokies in less than five
whole days, with mileages of 13.6; 14.5; 12.5; 15.6; and 15.7; while it
was hard work, we actually came to enjoy the hard work of longer miles
as a way to combat the cold and keep warm.  I was the oldest of our
small group at 44 years old, and everyone was in relatively good shape,
but none of us were any kind of major athletes or anything like that.
THE most important thing is to keep youself fully fueled with food, and
to recognize your own "best" pace in terms of ability to avoid nasty
falls, enjoy the beauty around you, etc.  Now that I think more about
it, another reason we hiked pretty hard was to avoid shelter congestion;
the shelters were full every night due to the fact that we had snow,
sleet or rain every single night.

thru-thinker