From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Slyatpct@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 9:49 PM
To: jim.stewart@usa.net; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Smokies section hike

--
In a message dated 1/21/2003 9:21:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jim.stewart@usa.net writes:

> .  I am concerned about the
> crowding and am hoping to not be putting anyone doing a thru out.
>
> I have been doing sections the last couple of years during Spring and
> have met many of those that were thru-hiking, and have really enjoyed
> myself.  Keep telling myself "one of these days....".
>
> Brings up a question though.  If the shelter is full and I do have the
> shelter on my permit, can I tent at the shelter?  Or is that only for
> thru-hikers?

Jim,

With a permit, you really wont be putting anyone out at a shelter,
thru-hikers are allowed only three spots in favor of reservationists.
Otherwise, thru-hikers have to tent. However, the areas may become crowded
and overly impacted.  Not that they already aren't, but more so, because no
one is allowed to camp along the trail.  The NPS has their own rules and for
good reason (I guess), but when we have a choice to make it better and not
overly crowd shelter areas, I think we should regardless.

As far as bending the rules and camping when you have a shelter permit, I
believe it's a no no, but if you're inclined, I'd say go for it, but only
when the shelter is full.

Jim, your presence in the Smokies during thru-hiker season wont matter a
bean
in a hill of beans.  For the most part it's an awful situation with the
crowding, fences and such, and is best traveled, when less traveled.

Sly