From: Sloetoe
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 2:42:37 PM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] Destressing: PRE-Thru-Hike Appetite

### How about "pre-hike anxiety"? I would just call it nerves,
Jan. And in this case, perhaps not all together un*helpful
nerves, either. Bored? Do something to help yourself along. Eat
something. Nervous? Do something to build a reserve -- *any*
kind of reserve. Eat something. Stressed? Do something to relax
yourself: eat something. Depressed? Exhausted? Here's a
suggestion: give yourself a reward! How's 'bout a big ol' piece
of pie? And don't drink water! Here! Have this nice cup-o-Hot
Chocolate, too. MMmmmm Mmm!

DON'T WORRY; BE HAPPY Dept.:
1) What you don't burn off in the first month will be busy
keeping you warm.
2) What you take with you will fit your center of gravity much
better than even the best made pack.
3) If you're taking practice hikes now, you're packing an added
handicap: your legs will be that much stronger when you hit
Springer.

On the other hand, I've gained
10 pounds since Thanksgiving [AGAIN]
and have a 40 mile race in 33 days.
sloooooeeeeeeeeeeeetoe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:49:49 -0500

I've always heard about the raging hiker appetite, and of people
blowing up weight-wise post-Trail, but this is a new one of me.

I've been eating like a HORSE since Christmas and put on seven
pounds. It's like my body is freaking out, fearing the upcoming
starvation. My appetite is enormous.

Has anyone who thru-ed else noticed this phenomenon? Maybe my
normal "governor" is just removed because I know I'll hike it
off.
Yikes, hope I don't bust anything between then and now!

Glutton Shoe