Re[3]: [at-l] Abandon a Van

>"...Hmm - but did he mill the used head before he put it on?"

Jim. I think so. However, he has repaired a number of junkers that I've brought
to him. He always warns me that they are not worth new parts, but that he can
get used parts -- but he can't guarantee them.

 That's why I was pleasantly surprised that he replaced the gasket for free and
 urged "be sure you let me know if you have any problems." I noticed his wife
 frowning as he said it. I suspect his wife is why he came in on a Sunday to do
 the repair. His wife a few moments before, when I asked how much, said, "Bill
 says this is a charity case."

 I brought it in originally, just before my heart surgery. After I recovered and
was driving again I knew something was wrong. I sent the car in with my daughter
and she was told that it was a defective temperature sensor, and that otherwise
his "computer" said the cooling system was okay.

I knew something was wrong, but I wasn't sure just what. One cold day I replaced
the thermostat, and added some radiator anti-leak chemicals. When nothing
helped, I belatedly took the van back to the garage.

So far it's working like a charm. PLease, everyone. Cross your fingers.

This afternoon I drove it two miles to our town land trust parking lot and
walked with snowshoes my mile and a quarter practice loop, down the hill, around
the beaver dam, back up the hill, and back to the parking lot. My time is down
to 40 minutes, despite old fashioned, six pound snowshoes, and some unbroken
snow.

BTW, many many thanks to Jim and Ginny and the several others who opted to
become founding members of our new Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. I got the
list of contributors this evening, but I know most of you only by trail names
and had difficulty figuring out who is who. But I recognized Jim & Ginny, thru
thinker, Rick Boudrie, and Greg, and I'm suspicious of several other list
members. Regardless. Thanks to all.

As near as I can tell, the list has contributed around $600 or $700. It's not
too late, however. A founding membership officially is just $100 -- though we
accept any amount. The address is Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, PO Box
325, Yarmouth, Maine 04096.

This is truly an historic opportunity. Much of the pulp and paper industry in
Maine is in a state of collapse for reasons far too complicated to explain here.
But several millions of acres are for sale, a lot of which is adjacent to the
trail.

We'll never have a better opportunity for creating buffers at such bargain
prices. Mainers are upset that northern forest land prices have increased from
$200 an acre to $300. But it's still a bargain. Tell me, how much land in
Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and points south is available
for $300 an acre?

Weary