Re[2]: [at-l] Abandon a Van

Rogene. That's a good suggestion for those with warped valve covers. My problem
has been the head gasket, the gasket between the head that holds the spark plugs
and the engine block that holds the pistons. The head gasket confines the gases
that push on the piston to make the car go.

My leak allowed the coolant fluid to escape into the exhaust system every time
the number three cylinder fired. I was losing anti-freeze and water, not oil.

The owner of the two-man plus wife/bookkeeper garage I use, replaced a cracked
head with a used one from a junk yard in August. The gasket began leaking a
couple of months later, forcing me to replace a couple of quarts of fluid a day
ever since.

I was scheduled to have the work done tomorrow, but the owner/mechanic went in
Sunday and replaced the gasket -- for free! So far (15 miles) it is working
fine.

But Rogene is right. 10-year-old Plymouth Vans with 140,000 miles on them are
rarely worth fixing. However, as a matter of principle I like to get at least
200,000 miles out of my vehicles, so I've got to keep struggling for another
60,000.

Weary