[at-l] Places to see on your upcoming thru-hike

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 06:46  PM, max patch wrote:
> I hopped on a bus (maybe 10 miles or so) in MA and went to Tanglewood
> (outdoor amphitheater) and saw the Boston Symphony w/Itzak Perlman. I
> don't particularly like classical music but this was a one time
> opportunity to experience this setting.

I also went to Tanglewood this year.  I was fortunate enough
to have my parents meeting me in Great Barrington for this
side trip, but I don't imagine it would be difficult to get
to via a hitch.  The best access is probably at the Route 20
crossing in MA just after the trail goes over I-90 near Lee.
Hitch in to Lee and then north to Lenox MA.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Tanglewood, it is
the summer home of the Boston Symphony.  The concerts are
held on the "Great Lawn".  The musicians and some folks are
located in a covered shed/amphitheater but most everyone else
is sitting on the lawn area.  The lawn is huge with thousands
and thousands of people.  Everyone brings food/drink/coolers
and some have tables, chairs and candelabras. This would be
an *outstanding* yogi opportunity for thru-hikers.  Many
years ago my parents were at a concert and adopted a couple
of thru-hikers for the night.