[at-l] Bear Hanging

>"...I've heard that most of the shelters and camp sites on the AT now have
>cables, is this true?  Opinions?I've heard that most of the shelters and camp
>sites on the AT now have cables, is this true?  Opinions?"

Not true. But most of the shelters with a record of bear problems have some
means of storing food out of their reach. The Smokies used to have chain link
fencing on the shelters. I understand this is being replaced with bear cables or
other bear-proofing devices.

 I can't remember what is used in Shenandoah, but some place had steel bear
 poles. New Jersey had a bear proof container for food at the one campsite where
 I stayed in '93.

 Bears, then and now, were not a problem at most shelters. Mice were a problem.
 As someone has mentioned tuna can rigs are common as a shield against mice. But
 either northern mice are smarter than southern mice, or all mice learn after
 awhile how to outwit the devices. At least in September in Maine the rigs tend
 not to work for me. I carry an aluminum foil pie plate, which is more difficult
 for mice to outwit. Just poke a hole through the middle of the pie plate. Tie
 two twigs about a foot or so apart on one end of a thin cord. Let the pie plate
 rest on one of the twigs. Use the lower one as a hook for your pack. Suspend
 the other end of the cord from the shelter overhang or a convenient tree limb.

 Weary