[at-l] Places to see on your upcoming thru-hike

Every year the people here gather a list of suggested
places to see for those starting their AT thru-hikes this
year. So...without further adieu I'll start the list off
with 10 of my most favorite places I visited on my
thru-hike. These are organized south to north along the
Trail:

1) 'The Cliffs' -- near the first shelter north of the
North Carolina line -- Muscrat Creek Shelter. I had an
absolutely gorgeous sunset at these cliffs -- you sit on
the edge of a cliff hundreds of feet high and look back
across a wide valley to some of the mountains you've just
climbed in Georgia a few days previous.

2) Old Orchard Shelter a few days north of Damascus --
beautiful sunsets from the front edge of the shelter,
overlooking a field where those who prefer to tent usually
camp.

3) Tinker Cliffs just north of McAfee's Knob in Virginia --
lots of flat rocks to lay out at the edge of the high
cliffs.

4) Washington, DC -- many thru-hikers take a break and
visit Washington, DC for a day or two -- either from near
Lynchburg, VA by taking the Amtrak to DC from Lynchburg or
from Harper's Ferry and taking the Amtrak into DC from
there. If you haven't ever visited Washington, DC it's one
terrific time particularly if you're into history or
government.

5) The South Mountain Inn -- it's a very fancy restaurant
right on the Appalachian Trail in Maryland that likes to
have hikers come in as a novelty for the other dining
guests. Lots of pictures of dignitaries on the walls
showing the big shots who've had dinner there. The key here
is 'right on the Trail'. I had chocolate ice cream and an
excellent cup of coffee here.

6) Gettysburg, PA -- it's about 15 miles off-trail
(hitchhike east where the Trail crosses US 30 in southern
PA) but worth the time to visit the most famous of Civil
War battlefields. The actual battle took place on the days
of July 1-3 1863 so if you're in the neighborhood during
the anniversary there might be special programs that would
be worth seeing at the Battlefield.

7) The Hostel in Vernon, NJ -- the nicest hostel I've ever
stayed at. Burger King and a Duncan Donuts near the hostel
as well as a grocery store (ahhh...believe me these will be
important when you get to this point along the Trail).
Hopefully the hostel is still open to hikers this year.

8) About 1/4 to 1/2 mile just north of the line seperating
New Jersey and New York (there's usually a painted line on
the flat rocks you're crossing to designate the actual
NJ/NY state line) you can see the Manhatten skyline from
the AT on a clear day. When I passed this point (which
presented a view window along the AT only about 20 feet
wide through a distance valley) it was a wonderful blue sky
day and I could plainly see the World Trade Center towering
into the sky forty miles away.

9) Beaver Brook Shelter in New Hampshire -- one of the most
picturesque views (of Franconia Ridge ahead) from any
shelter you will visit along the Appalachian Trail. If you
stay overnight at this shelter, the hike the next morning
for northbounders is downhill along a cascading stream that
is gorgeous.

10) Pierce Pond Shelter in Maine -- a most spiritual place
situated along the shore of scenic Pierce Pond. The colors
here during the autumn are out of this world.

There were so many other places...but these are what come
to mind tonight.

Datto