[at-l] the old debate-down vs. synthetic bags...

Another gear question- what do most thruhikers use- a down bag or a synthetic
fill bag?  That said, which is really better (just because most people use
one thing doesn't mean they're "right").  I like the idea of a high quality
down bag because they seem to last longer and squish down much better, can be
much lighter if you're willing to pay big $$$, and is oooohhhh so comfy to
sleep in.  I've never had a sleeping bag get wet before, even in bad
rainstorms and falling into a creek, but I hear of thruhikers having 10 days
of non stop rain and I worry about down eventually losing it's loft after
getting damp.  Synthetics SUPPOSEDLY aren't nearly as vunerable to this
problem.  What's your opinions?  Thanks.