[at-l] VA section hike

Bob,

=09Most all of the AT in VA lends itself to good car access and parking.
I like it all and find it hard to recommend a 70 mile section :-). How
about starting at the TN/VA line and walking north. Then on another
trip pick up where you left off!
=09Some scenic areas that come to mind are the Mount Rogers areas above
5,000 feet. There are several loop possibilities in this area if you
are not limiting yourself to the AT. Burkes Garden is pretty cool as
is Angles Rest just south of Pearisburg. Continuing north, Dragons
Tooth, Mcafees Knob and Tinker Cliffs are really neat all the way into
Daleville. There are some great views along the Blue Ridge Parkway to
the James River. Beyond the James and the great views on either side
of this river you will hit Bluff mountain then circle around Pedlar
lake. After route 60 Cole Mountain is written in some guides as the
best views in the George Washington Forest. Beyond that Spy Rock is a
   neat place to spend the night with near 360* views. The Priest, Tye
River and then Three Ridges have quite a change in elevation which
affords great views. Ok now we are almost in the Shenandoah which
contains the most views per mile I suppose. You will find this area
crowded with access from the Skyline drive sometimes several times per
mile. They have relaxed the permit (free) system and you no longer
have to tell them where you will camp every night. All they need is
date and place of entry and date and place of departure. Permits can
be picked up as you enter the Park. Hmm but that's 500 miles total.
=09I guess you can tell I like Virginia :-) Ok here is a recommendation.
Start at highway 42 mile 39.7 in the 1999 Data book. Sinking creek
Mountain is just north of that. End on the Blue Ridge Parkway perhaps
at Bearwallow Gap highway 43. There are almost ten miles of walking
beside the BRParkway up to 43.
=09Neat things along this route: Sinking Creek mnt (narrow rock
ridgeline), Audie Murphy Monument, Dragons Tooth, Four Pines Hostel,
The Home Place ayce, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Tinker Ridge views of
Carvins Cove Lake, Daleville (motels and resupply), The Blue Ridge
Parkway 469 miles connecting the Skyline Drive to the Smoky Mountains.
Nice views along the Parkway to the East and West on this narrow
ridgeline that contains the AT and the Parkway up to 43.
=09Ok I got carried away didn't I lol. When you decied I will be glad to
give you some details on the area you choose to hike.

chase

Bob wrote:
> --
> I am planning about 70 miles in VA sometime in May. I don't know anything=
 about the AT in VA, and I don't often have the opportunity to travel that =
far north for hikes. Can I get some suggestions on what section I should co=
nsider doing? Mostly I am looking for good views, and trailheads that are n=
ot too difficult to access.