[at-l] Boots

Danny wrote:

I just bought a pair of Asolo AFX 520 GV Boots. They felt great at the
shop but I have been wearing them around at home and I feel like they
might be a bit narrow for my feet. I usually buy my boots and sneakers in
a wide size. Any thoughts on boots (full leather ups) that generally run
wide or that offer a wide size? I am considering Montrail's Torre GTX in a
wide and if I can't find a better fit than the Asolos than I might have
them stretched out. I know they are supposed to fit well now and that this
is a personal decision. HOWEVER, if any of you have wide feet and have any
suggestions I await your responses. Thanks in advance.
Danny

Panzer says:

Danny, I normally take a wide boot too.
I bought a pair of Merrell Wilderness all leather boots a couple of
years ago.  Similar to the Asolo except no Gore-tex.   They also only
come in medium width.  But after wearing them around for a while they
stretched nicely and I used them to do 500 mile section hike in 2001.
 Although I will never again wear a 3+ pound boot on the trail.  Just
too heavy.

Recently, I just got a pair of LOWA Klindike Gore-tex in Medium width.
(2.1 pound  fabric boot)  At first I thought that they were too narrow.
 But after wearing them around town for about 50 hours, they seem like
they have gotten wider.  Now I'm glad that they didn't have a wide size
in the store because it might be too wide by now.  It's really a gamble
though.  You have to use your judgment.  And you have a lot at stake
when investing  you time trying to break in boots.  As you probably
know, if you only wear them in the house, you can always bring them
back.  But once you wear them outside, there yours.  Anyhow, I don't
believe Asolo makes your boots in wide.  See http://www.asolo.com/   for
more info on sizing.

The Asolo AFX 520 GV are a beautiful pair of full grain leather,
Gore-tex boots. But at 3 pounds and 8 ounces a pair (for size 8.5) ,
they are a little heavy for long distance backpacking.  Although, it is
going to be so so cold at the PA Ruck that they might be a good choice
for standing around in camp.

The Montrail's Torre GTX is also a heavy boot at 3 pounds 4 ounces.  I
would advise looking for something under 3 pounds.  Closer to 2 pounds
would be nice.

Please NOTE: If you try to have gore-tex boots professionally stretched,
 the Gore-tex might rip inside the boot.  If it does rip, you won't be
able to tell because you can't see the Gore-tex..   So I would not risk
professionally stretching a pair of expensive Gore-tex boots.  I would
just let them stretch on their own by wearing them.

Hike On!!
Panzer