[at-l] Last Digital Camera Questions

At 06:59 PM 1/16/2003 -0500, Papa Bear wrote:
>Jan
>
>I would suggest you consider a lesser resolution.  I also have a 3 Mpix
>camera but I have set the resolution to 1024x768.  With this resolution I
>would get about 400 shots on the 128 Meg card (of course use JPEG).
>(Actually I have 64 Meg cards since I have last year's model and I get 200
>shots on them).  Check the Gallery on Ryan's site.  Most pictures are taken
>at somewhere between 1024x768 and 1600x1200.  Photos scanned on home type
>(i.e. cheap) scanners are usually worse than any of these settings.
>
>For example I use 1024x768 (0.8 Mpix)
>http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_section_2
>
>Mrs. Gorp uses 1200 x 800 (1 Mpix)
>http://gallery.backcountry.net/Damascus-HarpersFerry2002
>
>Chase uses 1280x960 (1.2 Mpix)
>http://gallery.backcountry.net/roan
>
>Chomp uses 1600x1200 (1.9 Mpix)
>http://gallery.backcountry.net/chompwindriver
>
>(How can you tell?  If it was taken with a digital camera there will be a
>link in the upper right labeled "Photo Properties" after you click on an
>image.  This will tell all.)
>
>See if you can tell the difference between any of these.  Bet you can't!

That's because regardless of the resolution of the camera, photo's on the
web appear to you at the resolution of *your* monitor.  Hint: For fastest
download photos posted to the web should be resized to fit the screen
rather than downloading the original size file and having the browser
resize it.  Down sizing in the browser requires extra code too.  The
smaller file size is a courtesy to Ryan too since the files eat up less
server space.  The two most used screen resolutions are 800X600 and
1024X768.  A maximum of 500 pixels high and 700 pixels wide will ensure
that most folks can see the whole photo without scrolling.

Saunterer