[at-l] Cold & calories

--
I agree with Bryan, but I know of no formula.  I do know re my own
personal AT experience in 2001, though.  I'd hiked and climbed for 25
years before my 2001 thruhike effort and never recalled having a huge
weight loss; however, when I hit the Trail in mid-March, I weighed about
185 lbs; about one month later, I weighed about 165 lbs.  The quick loss
of 20 lbs in the colder days was not a real good thing.  My solution
required me to totally pig out in towns [what a shame!], and to start
carrying more dense, real foods on the Trail, such as hardboiled eggs,
precooked bacon, smashed bagels, tuna in foil, peanut butter, lots of
GORP, even precooked (in town, using my stove) baked potato, etc.  I
also would pack out 2, 3 or even 4 cheeseburgers if I was leaving a town
where such could be procured - then would eat them during the rest of
that day.  Yum!

thru-thinker

Lilla Thompson wrote:

>Thanks.  But I guess what I was really hoping for was something along the =
lines of: for every x number of degrees (colder) doing x level of activity,=
 you burn/need x # of calories to maintain  temperature/weight.  Sounds lik=
e an impossible formula to work out, I know...