[at-l] Soups can be a pain to dry

I practically live off of soups now.  I even eat them for breakfast at
times.  I usually pour the "leftover" into a bowl and quickly pop it back
into the ice box.

But I guess you can't do that on the trail.

Anyway, it is better to leave your ingrediants seperate and mix as the mood
hits you.  If you cook and dehydrate a ton of Chilli, you are stuck with
chilli.  Keep the ingredients seperate and you have lots of different
soups/stews.

I don't even keep the Ramen packs together.  In fact when I hit the trail I
had lots of little Ramen powders in their individual packs since I use the
noodles by themselves: Hydrate and add lots of butter or olive oil or mix
with Ranch dressing.  Sometimes I hydrated them and fried them.  And I woul=
do the same with store brand and cheap brand Mac 'n' Cheese.  So I had lots
of cheese and ramen soup packets.  But they made a good base for soups and
other things.

Take some powdered cheese and some powdered milk, and mix.  Add water (just
a little) and heat.  Mix in a tad of beer -- if you got it it.  Some spices=
.
Pour over stale bread.  Mock Welsh rabbit.

Add a few bits of summer sausage and some cheese powder and a few dehydrate=
potatoes and you have a fair soup.  Take the summer sausage, some ramen
powder, and few dehydrated veggies and you have a fair beef-veggie soup.  I
also found a Hebrew instant tomato soup mix which I used with assorted item=
to make a good soup.

And for a cold soup: Take some powder milk.  Mix with cold water.  Stir in
some drink mix (grape is best).  Add some fruity trail mix or your choice o=
dehydrate fruit.  Add sweetener and spices (I like nutmeg and ginger) to
your taste.  Let sit for awhile.  If the weather is not too hot, put in a
tight container and you can have a quick snack/meal on the trail.  Also, if
you get near a place that has sour cream or yogurt, stir some in -- but
don't carry too long.  Or mayo, though it takes a lot of those little packe=
to give it a good "twang".  It goes good with cookies or a black bread. Or
cheese and plain bread.

For a fish soup, I use tuna.  Corn.  Potatoes. Onions.  Celery.  Cook the
tuna, corn, potatoes, onions, celery, and spices in water -- not too much
because you are going to add milk.  Mix some milk in a seperate container
with cold water.  After the first container has cooked, slowly stir in the
milk.  Stir the mix until it gets hot and remove.

To thicken soups (and make them seem more substantial) carry arrowroot or
corn starch.  Remember to mix them with cold liquids and add to hot liquids=
.
Flour will work if you carry flour.  Also if you can stand okra and
especially if you can get if fresh, add okra.

William, The Turtle