[at-l] Orthotics

> Any thru-hikers have Orthotics? I will be wearing a pair
> throughout and I am curious about wear and tear. Thanks a lot.
>
> Danny
My wife always wears custom orthotics (even around the house in slippers).
She has several pairs, one pair lives in her hiking boots. While not a
thru-hiker, she gets less than 1000 miles on those between refurbishing. We
do about 4-500 miles of hiking a year. Other people may not be as tough on
them as she is. I suspect part of it is keeping sand and small stones out
from under the orthotic. She has perfect aim with her left foot for kicking
small stones into her right boot while walking. If she wears gaiters her
feet sweat too much and she gets blisters. Since the stone is under the
orthotic it is not instantly noticed as it would be for someone with
orthotics.