[at-l] Ham and Split Pea Soup

----- Original Message -----
From: <KarenS62@aol.com>
To: <janl2@mindspring.com>; <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Ham and Split Pea Soup

SNIP

I would scoop out the ham peices after cooking and dry it separately.  They
will dry at different rates and you could end up overcooking the soup part
in the drying process.
<<
SNIP

Good point.

Maybe I should have talked about my dehydrating technique.

When drying a made dish or soups I try to manage the different rates by
managing the granularity of the items before cooking, i.e., I cut the pieces
of various items so that will dry in the same time, which is often (but not
always) the same size.

With soups, I separate (strainer or colander) the chunks from the
broth/liquate.  I reduce the liquate part before dehydrating it on a fruit
roll-up sheet.  The chunks are dehydrated separately.  I then recombine.
BTW -- a coffee bean grinder is great for grinding the dried liquate into a
powder.

Chainsaw