[at-l] Self defense on the trail

I have had a real criminal intent directed my way  only twice in my years
of hiking.  The first was on the Mid-state trail
in PA. me and a buddy were robbed while we sleeping, our packs  were
tenting, packs outside tents) our backs were taken several 100 feet away
and ransacked. Both our stoves/fuel and clothing items were gone, food was
left though.

The second time was in south America, in Patagonia. These people wanted
money from us to pass by them, they had rifles and demanded we empty our
packs. I really thought we were goners. Then when they we satisfied we were
not guerillas or had some hidden treasure or agenda. they let us go on, the
hike was exceptional however  You kept looking over your shoulder.

There was also some little things on the AT in different situations. I do
know this though. There are those out there who "watch". I think
unfortunately, in this day and age there will alway be the "potential" for
this element. All we can do is practice smart-safe hiking. And say a prayer
each night.
HIKER7s