[at-l] Cold weather hiking questions

Kelly, you spent some time in Nashville, you _must_ know something
about the cold.

Hypothermia is something anyone needs to know about when temps are
below 60, with wind and rain likely to lower core temps. Shivering is
the best first symptoms to pay attention to. Beyond that, there are
other symptoms that require assistance from others for resuscitation.
Hence, if you are heading out into hypothermia camping without a buddy
and experience, you ought to reconsider your options.

Gloves, especially glove liners, are an essential bit of clothing. A
hat is more important, as much heat is lost via your head. Read POG's
trip report / gear list for some excellent  choices.

Cooking from a tent has been a source of controversy around here. Many
do it, but there are risks involved, particularly since most of your
shelter and garments are made of synthetic textiles that adhere to skin
as they burn. Cooking inside a tent increases risks of CO poisoning. A
fire outside your tent limits your escape routes. YMMV.

Clothing layers are always a fine idea. Pants and or shorts are fine,
as rarely are your legs the source of great heat loss, unless there is
wind or rain. Rain pants can take care of that problem quite well, as
well as keep you warm in camp.

I'll be really surprised if you have much water to freeze with temps
transiently in the low 30's. Carry a large opening container - Nalgene
or GatorAde - to keep it to a low level, and store it lid down in your
tent.

Carry a quick source of calories - honey, Jolly Ranchers or some really
quick access sugar. A favorite cold weather first aid is Jello with
sugar, added to warm (not hot and not boiling) water. If you awaken
shivering and cold, eat in order to regain calories and your ability to
generate heat via shivering. Once you quit shivering, either you are
warm or you are in big trouble.

Bill....