[at-l] RE: [ft-l] Cold weather hiking questions

The general rule of thumb is that you don't have to worry about stuff
freezing until the temp drops to 26* and stays there for several hours. Of
course if it gets below 32* and stays there for a long time water will
eventually freeze but that's rather rare in Florida.

As for gloves and such that depend a lot on you and how you deal with the
cold, just think about losing to the Gators that should warm you right up
;-.

When I used to cross-country ski we would be down to tee shirts pretty quick
but you need to have warmer clothes to put on when you stop. I doubt you'll
want to get down to shorts however. Hypothermia can happen up into the
fifties or higher, the big danger there is getting wet and being in a wind.
That will suck the heat right out of your body. Just stay dry, takes layers
off and put them on so that you don't get overheated and start sweating. You
can safely stick your body out of the tent, serious problems with things
like that don't happen at 30*, maybe at -30*.

I'd suggest a fleece top and maybe wind jacket and pants, gloves are
optional but won't hurt. Plus some long pants and a tee shirt. A good hat is
always important in the cold, I like watch caps but others like balaclavas.

Bryan

"Si vis pacem para bellum"