[at-l] Gulf Hagas loop

--
In a message dated 1/11/2003 7:50:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
papabear.nyc@verizon.net writes:

> It seems the intent was to make the gulf area a prominent side trail as well
> as "protecting" it from development for both day hikers and ATers.

           ***   Perhaps, but knowing how trails are made and who decides
where they should go, it's possible the decision was made by someone who just
didn't want to build the extra trail. More likely (as a person who has
scouted many relocations) there are difficult terrain problems in bringing
the Trail through there. Just looking at the map, it's obvious that the loop
was too circuitous to reconnect to the Trail in its present position...

> I would suggest the best thing would be to leave it as is since anyone who
> feels like it can do the loop as is, and by avoiding the cut-off trail
> would not miss any white blazes.

             ***   My vote on this is bring it through the Gulf to improve
the AT. On my 1985 southbound trip I went a short way into the Gulf up to
where I could see the gorge and then turned around. I regret that now, but I
was new to LD hiking and was worried about Chairback and getting to Monson. A
Gulf Hagas reroute would bring hikers through the best of it and improve
their AT experience...

> No more sense making everyone do it, than discouraging anyone from doing
> it.  I would bet those who laid out the route after the land purchase knew
> *exactly* what they were doing.

         ***   I would bet if we could get the original planners together
with either a map or actually go out there we would find that it was one of
the things I listed. Maybe they just didn't want to go outside the corridor
after exiting...