[at-l] Baxter State Park: Wilder within

--
In a message dated 1/9/2003 9:21:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
papabear.nyc@verizon.net writes:

> I personally tend to think these are great ideas and would only enhance the
> AT experience, although some less mobile folks would find themselves
> excluded.  Note that the AT follows the Hunt Trail which is mentioned in
> the
> first point.

       ***    If I'm reading this right these quotas will limit AT access to
the summit. Since preference is given to advance reservation holders AT LDH's
will find it more difficult to arrange slots in advance. I assume ATC and
Baxter will arrange an AT quota like GSMNP. The experience might improve by
having less crowds, however getting a spot to have that experience looks like
it will become more difficult...

           In a perfect world there would be a separate "AT-only" path up a
more remote side of the mountain with a control point station at its base.
That way AT hikers would be separated completely from other park users...