Re[2]: [at-l] Millinocket Mill Banckrupt

>"... Not many people from away are aware that in Gov. Baxter's 'forever wild'
>gift there is a significant ongoing logging operation inside the Park.
>Considerable income is/was generated selling timber to the mills," reports TJ.

Gov. Baxter had visited the highly managed, sustainable forests of Scandinavia
and dreamed of creating an example of such a forest in Maine, in hope of
enticing some of the Maine forest owners to emulate the sustainable forests
there.

 So he decreed that ~28,000 acres of his otherwise "forever wild" gift could be
 used for that purpose. Unfortunately the politicians to whom he had entrusted
 management of his gift ignored these wishes for decades after his death. They
 attempted after a while to offer a sweetheart deal to the now bankrupt Great
 Northern, for harvesting in the so called "scientific Harvesting area," Baxter
 had established.

 Lawsuits ensued, luckily, and, after a bit, the giveaway contracts were
 modified. However I doubt if the scientific forestry area contributes more than
 a tiny amount to the Baxter Park income, or would have contributed much to
 Great Northern's survival.

 The tragedy of Millinocket, essentially, is occurring because the  managers of
 the Maine woods succumbed to the same greed as other national corporations.
 During the decades of the 80s and 90s the goal of corporations became not long
 term, sustained, profits, but short term. Whatever boosted the stock price
 immediately brought stock options and bonuses to managers, so that is what they
 sought to achieve. As a result forest lands that for a century had been managed
 to supply raw materials to mills, suddenly became a "profit center" of their
 own, regardless of their contribution to the long term prosperity of the
 company.

 Sustained growth of trees suddenly was ignored. Some of the most important
 species needed by the mills were harvested at 5 times the ability of the forest
 to grow replacements and by clear cutting techniques that even further reduced
 the ability of the forest to grow quality wood.

 Those few of us who warned about what was happening were either ignored or
 ridiculed. But, sadly, our predictions are coming true.

 Great Northern was created out of the wilderness a century ago. But today's
bankrupt company realistically has no connection with the original company.
Great Northern has gone through multiple owners in recent years. Each one trying
to eek out a bit of final profit from a dying company and a depleted forest
resource.

 Much of the 2 million acre land base that had for decades provided the needed
 raw materials have long since been sold for operating capital and shareholder
 profits.

 I'm saddened by the loss of jobs and pensions for what a few decades ago was
 Maine's premier company. But I can't help but remember that those who most
 bitterly attacked me for telling them the obvious, are those who are now most
 severely impacted by the likely demise of the company.

 The bright side? This is an incredible opportunity for conservationists to
 preserve a vast forest for future generations. Millions of Maine wildland acres
 are in play -- either already sold, or on the market, or subject to secret
 negotiations.

 Very little of this forest will go to provide jobs for paper makers. The market
 is being aimed at developers and "kingdom" buyers (rich folks who seek 20,000
 acre houselots) and environmental groups.

  The Nature Conservancy, and a variety of land trusts are important players.
  Their aim -- preservation of forest lands. All the big conservation
  foundations are being tapped for funds.

   But the trail has a niche. The pitch for most of the groups is pure
   "preservation," though all pay lip service to the "recreational" potential of
   the lands.

   The goal of the Maine Appalachian Land Trust is different. We seek protection
   of the existing trail, buffers for the existing trail, and expanded low
   impact, non motorized outdoor recreation opportunities. We have a chance of
   succeeding. But we need the support of ordinary trail users to make our most
   effective case.

   Weary