[at-l] Re: Alcohol Stoves

Hey, finally something I have experience with!

I carried a Hike N' Light with me this summer on the Long Trail.
Used it pretty much every day, twice a day, to boil water for my
grits (a.m.) and dried soups or whatever (p.m.).  Worked great for
me.  Economical on fuel, quick to heat the water.  All the usual
cautions about alcohol stoves and adding fuel apply.  Some people
in reviews I read raised criticisms about the wires that hold your pot
above the flame getting lost or bent and useless; but in my month
on the trail I didn't have any problems.  Other criticisms are the
width of the flame, but I decided to use a wide pan and with an
aluminum foil wind screen also directing flame to the pot only, it all
seemed to work well for what I was doing.

In other words, no complaints. [However, I'm thinking of converting
to a ZIP for shorter trips in the Spring where I might want to be
more versatile with cooking and need a longer burning flame.]

concordia, LT '02