[at-l] AT Trail System

In a message dated 1/10/2003 10:34:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, rhymworm@mi=
ndspring.com writes:

> Maybe nothing will come of all this, and nothing will change, and everyon=
e will decide that we like it fine the way it is.

Personally, I like it the way it is - a combination of everything. I like t=
hat there is one organization which manages everything, even if it's at a h=
igh level. That may neccesitate delegating specific areas of interest - the=
 Companion is a good example of this method succesfully in action and, I su=
spect, the AT Museum will fill another of those special interest slots.

Walking into the ATC building in Harpers Ferry is like coming home. Everyth=
ing a hiker could want as far as information is in that little building, an=
d if it's not, they can point you towards it. Knowing you can call the ATC =
and get updates on the trail, info about work trips and even get word to a =
thruhiker about a family member in crisis is all part of what makes the ATC=
 special.  The welcoming smiles when a visitor walks or hikes in makes them=
 feel like one of the family.

I have concerns that if the ATC focuses primarily on a specific area (i.e. =
environmental activism or trail maintenance), it will lose that overall att=
itude which appeals so much to me. I know growth and change is inevitable, =
but change just for the sake of change isn't always a good thing.

POG