[at-l] RE: Genuine Thru Hikes---a Last Comment

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 12:14  PM, J Bryan Kramer wrote:
> Maybe its because there are no 'facts' involved. We have an
> engineering term
> for 'facts' like this, we call it a WAG which stands for Wild As*
> Guess,
> others prefer the term factoid.

If you are in the car with someone and they suggest a different,
shorter route to your destination and it differs from your usual
practice, do you demand a scientific study demonstrating that it is
indeed shorter before you'll consider their opinion anything other than
a WAG?

Trying to use an engineering methodology for discussion of social
phenomenon in a recreational environment is a bit much. Can we please
not take this issue so seriously?

Radar
AT-2002: www.trailjournals.com/gwright
PCT-2004: ?