[at-l] Genuineness of Contemporary Thru-hikes (LONG)

Rick B writes: "Here is what I might suggest be substituted for their curre=
nt requirements that state a blue blaze is not considered a viable alternat=
ive for the official white-blazed footpath:"

Putting arguments of what is a thru-hike aside and commenting only upon the=
 2,000 miler patch which is awarded when the ENTIRE trail is hiked, by defi=
nition a blue blaze SHOULD NOT be given equal status because IT AIN'T THE T=
RAIL.  One either hikes the ENTIRE trail or they didn't.  Its like being pr=
egnant.  Its a black and white issue with NO grey involved.  Hike ALL the t=
rail and earn the patch.  Bypass part of the OFFICIAL trail and don't earn =
the patch.  Its as simple as that.

We do need to write letters, though.  For example, Gulf Hagas SHOULD be par=
t of the Appalachian Trail.  It should NOT be a blue blazed side trail.  Do=
es anyone know why in the world this decision was made?

Max

http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=3Dplus&ref=3Dlmtplus