[at-l] recycled comments about "purity"

Bob C. wrote:
>And that is really what the debate is about -- the "honest" part. Despite
>sloetoe's list of "purists", I don't believe anyone truly believes that
>anyone should hike other than as they want to hike. It's reluctance to
>accept the "honesty" quotient that keeps the debate going.

Naaah - This "discussion" passed the point of being about "honesty" long
ago. What keeps it going is those who just have to beat others into
submission about it.  Then the question becomes - why?  What's in it for
them?

I did what I did.  I'm not ashamed of it - nor do I consider myself to be
dishonest as you keep insisting.  And you ARE specifically saying exactly
that about 95% or more of those who have thruhiked in the past.  I hiked
what "I" considered to be a "thruhike" - and I'll do it again - and again.
If it's not what "you" (or anyone else) consider to be a thruhike, that's
not my problem, it's yours - and I won't allow you to make it mine.

Now - I know you did a long walk - I respect that.  But that doesn't give
you either right or reason to be labelling those who didn't see "their" hike
the way "you" want them to see it as liars. And that IS what you're doing -
specifically, repeatedly, and with rancor - ad nauseum.

Let's look at facts - 5% (or less) of thruhikers do the hike as a "pure"
hike.  That means 95+% hike their own hike and to hell with Mrs Grundy.  So
what does that mean - that 95% of thruhikers are liars?  Let's not get
stupid here.  What it means is that the exxagerated "morality" being pushed
here is either nonsense or unrealistic - or both.  It means that 95% don't
buy into it and, as I've said before, vote with their feet. If you have a
problem with that then deal with it - and stop trying to teach eagles to
crawl.

Frankly, what the 95% - or the 5% - tell ATC or their friends or at-l  about
their hike is none of your business any more than it's mine.  Nor is it your
prerogative to judge what they've done - any more than it's mine.

What you're doing is called proselytizing.  I'd suspect that you don't like
it when someone does it to you - so why do you think others should be
willing to accept it from you?

Now - at this point I have to ask - are you trolling?

Jim